(2000 U.S. CENSUS) Marlow was first listed in 1930-1939 and reached its highest position of #1484 in the U.S. then, but is not found in the list at the moment. Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society (unless otherwise stated). Cherokee Strip Museum and Rose Hill School, Oklahoma Territorial Museum and Carnegie Library, Oklahoma Heritage Preservation Grant Program, Montgomery-Linam House, National Register of Historic Places, Marlow Armory, National Register of Historic Places. The city, however, was named for the Dr. Williamson Marlow family, who also settled in the area in the early or mid-1880s. Condition:--not specified. Marlow Heights Then Check out this area map from 1971 (courtesy of … Continue reading → In 1840 there were 26 Marlow families living in Ohio. The Review continued to serve the community into the twenty-first century. Item Information. Marlow Remembers WW1 - a wide range of Displays, Articles, Resources and Publications collected and created as part of the 100 years commemoration of the First World War. Marlow Place (1720) was built for George II (reigned 1727–60) when he was prince of Wales. Robert Ticehurst was a well-liked Marlow vet, with a surgery in West Street. The Marlow post office was established in March 1891, and the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway constructed their major east-west line through the town in 1892. The Marlow Brothers have long been the most famous of Marlow's residents, although the town came into existence after their exploits. Visit Marlow, Oklahoma, OK Just 10 miles north of Duncan, you'll find Marlow, a charming community full of wild, western history. Ohio had the highest population of Marlow families in 1840. (pdf)  Marlow Place - the town's most flamboyant house, (pdf)  Marlow Institute - precursor of adult education, (pdf)  New Court - left to Marlow by Nesta Liston, (pdf)  Remnantz - forerunner of Sandhurst and family home, (pdf)  The Old Fire Engine - its history and whereabouts, (pdf)  The Rookery - a gift Marlow didn't want, (pdf)  Thrift Cottages - the story of a typical terrace, (pdf)  Widmere - farm and medieval chapel, (pdf)  Marlow's Medieval Manor Hall ( 8Mb ). The museum features a prized exhibit dedicated to the famous Marlow family with items such as the original tombstones of brothers Alfred, Boone and Lewellyn. Ed. History. These pages are regularly updated, please select here to view the latest version. The Marlow Magnet was published in the 1890s, and by 1905 the Marlow Review had started publication. Noted for its alfalfa, corn, hogs, watermelons, and other fruit, Marlow blossomed, so that by 1908 there were sixty business houses in town. Dr. Williamson Marlow and his wife, Martha Jane, a relative of Daniel Boone, first established a homestead in this area during the early 1800's. Marlowe was the second child and eldest son of John Marlowe, a Canterbury shoemaker. 61) The records of thefollowing century show that the traders of … As no town records exist for GreatMarlow, very little is known of thehistory of the borough, but as a mesneborough held by the lords of Great Marlow Manor, (fn. The elder Marlow died in 1885 in Texas, leaving his second wife, Martha Jane, and their five youngest surviving sons—George, Charles (Charley), Alfred (Alf), Boone, and Llewellyn (Epp, or Ellie)—to search for a place to settle down. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole. Price: US $100.00. tmslocalhistorygroup @marlowsociety.org.uk. Brakspear first began life in Henley on Thames back in 1711, when William Henry Brakspear began brewing in the garden of 65 Bell Street. The author writes a history … In 1896 the civil parish of Great Marlow, created in the 19th century from the ancient parish, was divided into Great Marlow Urban District (the town) and Great Marlow civil parish (the rural areas). Marlow's name may be inspired by the Elizabethan playwright Christopher Marlowe.Conrad's father was a translator of William Shakespeare who doubtless would have known of Marlowe's work as well. Admission is free. No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain. History of Stephens County ([Duncan, Okla.]: Stephens County Historical Society, 1981). Slightly diversifying Marlow's economy were oil and gas drilling activities, which by the 1930s focused on wells northeast of town. Marlow has had only two newspapers in its history. Marlow is a residential town, but in summer its boating facilities and regatta attract visitors. With many residents working in the larger city, particularly for the gigantic oil-field equipment manufacturer Halliburton Energy Services, Marlow has experienced many of the economic ups and downs of its neighbor. Comments, Suggestions, and Corrections About the Encyclopedia Terms of Use, Oklahoma Historical Society | 800 Nazih Zuhdi Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 | 405-521-2491Site Index | Contact Us | Privacy | Press Room | Website Inquiries.